Manages the activities of the Baboquivari Unified School District Exceptional Student Services program and compliance.
- Master’s degree in special education or related field
- Arizona Administrative Certificate with Structured English Immersion (SEI) endorsement, or eligibility to obtain such certification
- Three years of experience in special education administration
- Demonstrated experience in creating, organizing and supervising instructional programs
- Evidence of successful experience in communication with school system personnel, students, parents and the community in promoting school-community relations
- Experience working with the Native population within the school and community
Experience or training in both elementary and secondary education. Experience in supportive service plans and programs including special education.
THE LIST OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND MAY BE SUPPLEMENTED.
- Supervises and evaluates Exceptional Student Services (ESS) employees including, but not limited to, an occupational, a physical therapist, a District psychologist, two speech pathologists, a traveling Preschool teacher and paraprofessionals, and an ESS secretary
- Mediates in multi-disciplinary conferences with parents of students who have been referred for special education evaluation when there are dissenting views of placement options
- Supervises the process of legal placements of special education students and monitors student service files for compliance documentation
- Investigate concerns by parents, staff, social services, OCR, state agencies, and the community, counsel parents on their responsibilities and obligations, coordinate mutually acceptable solutions, act as ombudsperson at the district level
- Represents the district to organizations such as the Arizona School for the Deaf and Blind, alternative programs, and community agencies
- Interprets federal, state, and district policies and regulations; advises parents, administrators, and teachers on the relevance of their individual roles
- Ensures that the appropriate framework is in place to assist state and federal audit teams in monitoring approved programs, advises site administrators and teachers of audit results, and recommends changes as appropriate
- Represents Exceptional Student Services to public and private school districts for the purpose of testing and evaluating special education students
- Review staff referrals of students for special education program consideration, ensure time lines for student evaluation and placement are met in accordance with special education mandates
- Authorizes changes for special education services to a more restrictive setting and the allocation of other resources
- Reviews enrollment, expulsions, and suspensions to ensure due process is followed and student’s education rights are not denied
- Consults on teacher performance in special education programs as requested by site administrators
- Supervises implementation of CORE curriculum by exceptional student service staff
- Ensures ESS center staff are knowledgeable in curriculum, district initiatives, and current best practices
- Monitors special education student participation in state and district testing
- Ensures compliance with state requirements for students in residential or day treatment
- Administers the exceptional education extended school year program and compensatory program
- Prepares and submits all mandated Arizona Department of Education reports
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION AVAILABLE ON DISTRICT WEBSITE.